Monday, July 09, 2007

Bike ride from Hell!

I have now dubbed the Ankeny Cycle for Sight the Bike Ride from Hell!
Last year I had to quit because of the heat and couldn't physically make it. At least last year I made it 55 miles.
This year I only managed just over 49 miles! It was so HOT and they decided to put all the big hills at the last half of the ride!
It started out really good, we had a tailwind and just cruised along at about 21mph! Once we got to the 40 mile mark, I started to lose it. We stopped at one of the little towns, reloaded our water and ate some more fruit. I didn't think I could eat so many apples and bananas in one morning! We headed back out on the road instead of taking the trail into Bondurant....BAD choice! Once we got onto J34, I believe that is the road, I made it up about 2 hills and had to stop. I felt like I was going to fall over. If you want a hill workout, go over by Minburn and find J34...I will avoid that road as much as possible!! Julie G called the Sag wagon for me and I stayed with another guy that was also needing a ride. She decided to push on. Once the wagon got us, we took the route and found Julie, she decided she was done too!
While getting a ride, Kyle called, he was trying to do the 85 mile route on a single speed and the heat was just too much for him too. We turned around and went back to find him, and had the wagon take us to Ankeny.
Once at home, about 2:30, I developed a major headache, thought I was going to puke and passed out on the bed. I woke up with a headache and tried to eat...no go. Went in and out of sleep on the couch and finally ate some pizza and breadsticks at 7:00pm. Still feeling a little dehydrated today, but much better. I even drank about 5 water bottles of water on the ride. I guess my body hates the heat!
I'll probably do it again next year, maybe I can get more riding in before so I can at least finish!!

2 comments:

Jules said...

Julie you did a great job. It was I who made the stupid decision to take the road instead of the trail. I hope that you are feeling better. Maybe you shouldnt ride with me anymore. On one ride we end up Cyclecross riding and on this one I about kill you. Sorry :)

Webbies said...

This weather has been a killer...hopefully the cooler temps will stick
BAM